4th of July Recipes: Mexican Street Corn & Grilled Asparagus
Executive Chef Nick Alvarez shares recipes for these incredible side dishes, perfect for accompanying whatever will be your main dish on the grill this Independence Day.
Mexican Street Corn (Elotes)
3 ears of sweet yellow corn
¼ cup mayo
¼ cup sour cream
1 garlic clove crushed into paste
Juice and zest of half a lime
½ tsp tajin
½ tsp dark chili powder
¼ tsp smoked paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
¼ cup cotija cheese, crumble (buy the cheese that feel firmer)
More tajin and chili powder to top
1 tbsp ripped cilantro for garnish
- Trim corn silk and remove outer most layer of husk, leaving a clean layer of husk over corn cobbs to protect them during cooking process
- On a vegetable rack over indirect heat, cook at 225F in smoker or grill for about 45 minutes until kernels are tender.
- While the corn is roasting, combine mayo, sour cream, garlic, lime juice and zest, tajin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Mix smooth.
- Remove from heat and shuck corn, removing remaining silk, but leaving on the husk for a convenient handle. Slightly oil corn and season with salt.
- Grill over direct high heat until slightly charred and all over.
- Remove from heat and then brush corn with mayo mixture.
- top with a generous amount of cotija cheese crumbles, more tajin and chili powder, and then ripped cilantro. Enjoy!
with Cilantro Lime Butter
1 bunch large asparagus
2 tbsp butter, melt
Zest and juice of 1 lime
2 or 3 cilantro stems minced
1 garlic clove, crushed with press
Salt and pepper
- Trim off woody asparagus ends.
- Combine melted butter, zest and juice of lime, cilantro stems, and garlic and mix smooth
- Toss asparagus in butter mixture so they are well coated and then season with salt and pepper
- Grill over high heat until good grill marks develop, turning only once. Total cook time should be around 4 minutes. Asparagus should be crunchy but tasted cooked.
- Finish with a squirt of lime juice if desired.