A Tasty Thursday Treat: Eggplant Fritters!
By: Cobb Galleria Centre Executive Chef Nicholas Walker
- 2 large eggplants (2 pounds total)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with 1-teaspoon salt; let stand 30 minutes. Brush 2 large baking sheets with oil. Pat eggplant dry; arrange in single layer on prepared sheets. Brush lightly with oil. Bake until eggplant is tender and dry, about 1 hour. Cool slightly; chop coarsely.
Whisk 1 egg, 1/4-cup breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, 1/4-teaspoon pepper, and 1/4-teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Stir in chopped eggplant (mixture will be soft). Spread 1-cup breadcrumbs on plate. Whisk 1 egg and flour in another bowl. Press and shape eggplant mixture into 1 1/4 -inch-diameter balls and dip balls, 1 at a time, into egg batter; roll in breadcrumbs to coat.