RECIPE: Galleria Fried Chicken
As we head on the fast track toward summer, Executive Chef Nick Alvarez shares his recipe for a summer favorite. Check out his yummy fried chicken recipe, which you can make at home or order it from our menu for your next banquet event at Cobb Galleria Centre.
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or any cut of chicken works)
1 qt. vegetable oil
*Special equipment – table top fryer or cast-iron skillet!
1 pt. buttermilk
2 TBSP kosher salt
1 TBSP white sugar
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 TBSP hot sauce (your favorite works)
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
2 cups flour
¼ cup cornstarch
1 TBSP old bay
1 TBSP garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. black pepper
1. A day ahead, combine ingredients for buttermilk brine and whisk until salt is dissolved and mixture is uniform.
2. Brine chicken overnight.
3. Combine ingredients for chicken flour and whisk until flour mixture is uniform. Use your hands to break up any pockets of cornstarch and spice.
4. Drain chicken from brine and evenly coat in chicken flour, pressing flour into the meat coating completely.
5. Gently shake chicken and set aside for 5 minutes.
6. Bread chicken a second time in the same chicken flour. Shake and set chicken aside while oil heats.
7. Fill cast iron skillet with oil 1/3 full.
8. Heat oil in cast iron over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees.
9. Turn heat to medium low and add your chicken pieces leaving ½ inch of space between each piece so the pan isn’t overcrowded.
10. Fry until lightly golden and then flip the pieces to fry the other side.
11. (If using a tabletop fryer, heat oil to 350 F while breading chicken. Lower to 275F and carefully add the chicken pieces one at a time. Don’t over fill the basket).
12. Give the basket a gentle shake at the start and then about halfway through the cooking process.
13. Cook until internal temp reaches 165F for white meat, 185F for dark meat.
14. Drain on a rack, pat with a paper towel if needed and serve immediately with your favorite side.
15. * If you’re feeling it, toss the fried chicken in buffalo sauce, BBQ sauce, or drizzle with spicy honey (1/4 c honey, 1/8 tsp chili flake, combine, heat warm, set aside).